11.07.2008

Romance is Hot Hot Hot

Bad News - the economy is in the shitter (and staying there). Good News - romance sales are up. I don't find it too surprising that in times of great turmoil, we go for the comforts of love and sex to feel happy and reassured.

Sites like eHarlequin - For women who Love to Read - provide an incredible amount of free content and an active online community. The varied Harlequin lines (Kimani Press, Silhouette, Mira, etc.) enable readers to quickly define, in a simply and fun way, the type of lover they wish or want to be. Interested in contemporary, christian characters facing the challenges of life and love - then Steeple Hill Inspired is the place for you. Are you a discerning woman looking for erotic stories of desire? Then go "ignite yourself" with the Spice line. Looking for a powerful, magical world you can only imagine - head on over to Luna and connect with your fellow magic lovers.

My favorite books are stand alone paranormals, but when reading series I like to be sparked by passion and fueled by desire - I'm a Silhouette Romantic Suspense gal.

Professionally, I try not to judge others reading habits - but personally, I must admit that the home & family lines creep me out. I'm sure I would find them a fine read, but the covers and titles weird me out:

Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


Am I too biased? These are a little creepy, right?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/08/2008

    Totally creepy! What is a home and family romance novel? I must admit I do not read romance novels the closest I have come is the Outlander series. And my brother once accused me of reading a romance based on the cover but it was Wuthering Heights oh and I read Vox but for political reasons : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romances typically come in two flavors - stand alones and series. Series in this sense refers to the imprint or line not series in the traditional sense. Stand alones can be series (i.e. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series) but they are not part of a romance series. At the book store, series romance is always in a pop out metal rack next to the shelves of stand alone romance.

    The great thing about series romance is that it provides a predictable pattern of events/themes; and readers can sign-up for clubs and receive 3-4 of these books every month by mail (usually for about $4/piece). Many popular stand alone romance authors began and contiue to write in series - Suzanne Brockman, Nora Roberts, Julie Kenner.

    Many argue that Outlander is romance or has romance elements - the defining characteristic of the romance genre is that the primary focus of the book must be the romantic relationship and the story must end with a happily ever after (HEA) or a happy for now (HFN - more common in series).

    Romance readers are often maligned - but research shows that romance lovers are educated and voracious readers - many reading as many as 7-10 books a month. Smart Bithces Who Read Trashy Books is a great site to connect with other smart gals who like romance. In my opinion, romance is no better or worse then any other genre (science fiction, fantasy mystery) - the focus is just different - i.e. love vs. dead bodies.

    The tag line for home and family romance is - a woman in the world living and loving the magic of creating a family and developing romantic relationships. Common themes include having a baby or caring for a widower's baby and realizing you should be part of the family, the magic of proposals and fated love (i.e. two small town kids meant for each other, reconnecting and falling in love). I think it's the baby and kids thing that creeps me out the most!

    I'll admitt series romance is cheesy - but that's half the fun.

    ReplyDelete