12.11.2008

Breaking Dawn

Confession - I just finished Breaking Dawn. I was very excited when it first came out, but the negative reviews were so immediate that I decided to hold off until after seeing the movie. I wanted to enjoy the movie with the excitement of someone who loooooves the series.

And, I loved Breaking Dawn! Yes, there are all sorts of issues - teen pregnancy, teen marriage, personal identity/independence and agency being at the forefront. I completely understand why lots of people are concerned - especially in light of shit like this.

But, from a purely romantic view-point, Breaking Dawn is completely swoony. Edward and Bella have perfect, unbreakable, forever love. What girl doesn't want perfect love that lasts forever?

Especially when it looks like this ... Le sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/06/2009

    Hyun (my significant other) and I went to see Twilight - kinda sorta as a joke. We thought it would be entertaining. And even though I laughed a lot, I was totally enthralled. So I went out and bought all four books and read them in less than five days. Like, stayed up until five in the morning read them. I have the same kinds of issues with some of the ideology in the book, but at the same time, I couldn't. Put. That. Shit. Down.

    One reviewer of the movie complained that it was basically 90 minutes of blue balling. Something about "the characters eye fuck each other for the entire film and all we get is one kiss" or some such nonsense. And I'm thinking, that's the freaking point, buddy.

    Also, Robert Pattinson is my new age-inappropriate imaginary boyfriend. Sorry, Shia, but Transformers just doesn't cut it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patterson has replaced Shia in my book too! Eagle Eye was just too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/08/2009

    Last Thanksgiving I went to my cousin's house for dinner and had a chat with his 16 year old daughter. I had feared for years that she would be the biggest dunderhead in our family, but the Harry Potter series made her a lean, mean readin' machine. She had fallen in love with these books too and so I decided to give one a try with the hope that we could continue to talk about books together. I read all 4 in one 3 day weekend. I had to run all over the Cities trying to find the last book. The first book totally sucked me in and from then on I just wanted to know what happened to the characters. However, I found the last book to be totally disappointing in the same way that the last chapter of the last Harry Potter book was disappointing (when he has all the kids with Ginny). It seemed like self-gratifying Hollywood dreck. Everything was wrapped up in a pretty bow and they walked into the sunset. Really the good vamps were gearing up for this insane "end of everything as we know it" war and then it just kinda petered out. Boo! Where's the wreckage?

    ReplyDelete