2.26.2008

Penises are the New Black

Apparently, vaginas are the new black. Who knew? I would be happier about this article if it didn't seem, well, more then a little condescending.

I don't see why this is offensive.


Maybe I'm a bad feminist, but I think it's cute. I really didn't notice that her vagina was "at the center of the bullseye" - which, I guess, implies that people will target her vagina and that this - somehow - is objectifying and/or implies the commodification of her genitals. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE - get a grip. Women have vaginas and when they lay spread eagle you can see them. I think the real travesty here, and the truly offensive part, is that we are so bothered by the sight of a vagina that we have to write these types of articles. Can you site a single article titled - Penis are the New Black? or Penis Savvy Ad Campaigns are Degrading to Men? Let's face reality, until we stop obsessing about vaginas - or start equally obsessing about penises - we are hurting the cause for equality.

So let's all take a moment and reflect on a few realities. Vaginas are funny. Penises are funny. Penises and vaginas together, hilarious. It's all sensational, we get it so - To my fellow feminists, I beg of you, let's be done with this. Yes, I think it's total crap that cunt is one of the FCC's seven FORBIDDEN words, but I also think it sucks that some people think the term va-jay-jay is empowering (damn you Oprah). I like vaginas, and I bet you like them too. So let's celebrate the popularity of vaginas and instead of being offended by their pop culture prominence, take this as an opportunity to promote and discuss sexual health and gender equality. You catch more bees with honey - and honey, trust me, vaginas are here to stay.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/26/2008

    I thought "bitch was the new black"?? That's what Tina Fey says, anyway. Did you see that clip?

    I don't think that ad is offensive either. I didn't think anything of it until I saw it posted on Feministing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit! Are people really upset about this? Y'know, when a race fears the very organ it derives from - that's a race that's not gonna last long.

    ReplyDelete