1.25.2008

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

In a recent post, Entertainment Weekly blogger Mandi Bierly asked her readers to confess their most embarrassing entertainment purchases. Things you purchase in secret, hide away, and when and if they are discovered - you create a fanciful lie about - i.e. oh my crazy aunt Betty bought that for my 12th birthday. Well I'm going to do Ms. Bierly one better and detail for you, my friends, the most embarrassing things I own.

1. The special edition, two disc DVD of Scarlett - the 1994 miniseries/sequel to Gone With the Wind starring Joanne Whalley and Timothy Dalton as "Mr Rhett Butler". I have watched this at least 20 times.

2. Four season's of Reba. Yeah there's really no excuse for this one. I am lame.

3. One pair of those super industrial granny panties. I bought them to go under a fancy dress. Unfortunately, during a recent bout of laziness I was forced to wear them to work. I was so ungodly uncomfortable that I walked to the University bookstore and contemplated spending $14.95 on a single pair of cotton undies with the word Illini printed across the ass. In the end, I decided that this was just too much for disposable underwear and toughed it out. I reasoned that all day pain was my punishment for not doing the laundry.

4. The Lifetime movies Fifteen and Pregnant and She's Too Young. Apparently I have a thing for knocked up teens with STDs.

5. About 20 stuffed animals. Yes, I am well past the appropriate age for such a large collection, but I just can't seem to pass up all the super cute stuffed penguinos.

6. Ridiculously expensive face and eye cream. At 27 I shouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars on anti-aging projects, but alas, my vanity wins out.

7. Eight Dave Matthews Band cds. What the hell was I thinking? The violin, the whiny voice, the undercurrent of stinky frat boys. I am truly, truly ashamed of myself. Thankfully my hippie wannabe college days have passed. Unfortunately, I still know all the words to every song.

So now you know. I'll completely understand if we can no longer be friends.

6 comments:

  1. I loved Scarlett, the book, and also Scarlett, the miniseries. I have $40 moisturizer - and that's $40 for a tiny tube. I have a couple of stuffed animals that I won't part with, and a rather large collection of stoneware angels, with more from my mom each year. They're tasteful, but they're still everywhere. I do not own granny panties, but I do have two nursing bras as they were the only bras that fit for a good part of this year. No idea why that is. No DMB, but I did just pay for an REO Speedwagon album on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah man, that's an awesome list! You should bring your REO to UIUC and we can rock out to it while we drive down REO Speedwagon Way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E's comment about nursing bras made me literally LOL. I'm also drunk.

    The only thing I judge you on is Reba.

    I have one stuffed animal that has finally paid off. My library has a traditional teddy bear parade each summer, so "Oatmeal Butt" became a celebrity.

    I got laid to DMB more times than any other artist. (Jimmy Eat World comes in second, with an appropriate relationship sans sex.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oatmeal Butt is pretty awesome, though.

    I'm going to have to come up with my own list. Thank you for the inspiration, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude, i was so one of those super lame whiny skinny girls who lost their virginity to DMB's crash, oh the shame!

    ps - Oatmeal Butt is possibly the best stuffed animal name ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own the movie "Maternal Instincts" with Delta Burke on VHS. I think I saw it on Lifetime and then had to buy it. Damn Lifetime... and now that there's the Lifetime Movie Network I end up watching far more of their stuff than I even intended.

    ReplyDelete