3.19.2008

Barack Obama

I believe that voting is a private issue. I do not ask people who they vote for, and I try not push my views onto others. I have hesitated to blog about my candidate, but I think that the time has come to speak out and say that I support Barack Obama. I voted for Barack Obama. I believe that Barack Obama has the vision, intelligence and experience to become the next Commander in Chief.

Like many others, I was deeply moved by Obama's recent speech on race in America. Obama's words ring true in a way that no other politician's have. I believe Barack Obama - and I believe in him. For the first time in my life I am able to vote for a politician that I believe in, and that is both amazing and sad.

As a feminist, I understand the impulse to vote for Hilary. Having a female president is an important step in U.S. history. I know that we will someday have a female president. However, I refuse to vote for someone that I do not believe in because she is biologically female. I believe that Obama is a feminist, and I believe that he is the best feminist candidate.

Race and gender do matter. We can not forget the struggles of our past and present in forging hope for our future. I am a product of my ancestry, and I have faced obstacles because of my gender. I am a privileged white woman who does her best to support all Americans. I have done and said things that I am not proud of - I have made mistakes and I take ownership of those mistakes because I am certain that the only way to move forward is through hard and honest work. I am determined to strive for a new and better United States. I believe in change, and I have hope for this country.



I hesitated to write this post because it really does stray from the message and purpose of this blog. I sincerely doubt that I will make another similar post, and promise that I will soon be back to my vagtastic naughtiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment