3.20.2008

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Happy birthday Mr. Rogers! Organizers in Philadelphia have declared today Sweater Day.



Speaking of clothes, apparently I'm on the bad feminist list again. Feministing and others have come out against Spanx. They argue that these seemingly innocuous products perpetuate female stereotypes and force women in to trying to achieve the perfect body (via spandex). Here's my two cents - I love and wear spanx bras and camis every day. I do not wear them because I think that I am fat or gross or to mold myself into an idealized female form. I wear them because I have constant back and bra pain - and spanx makes that pain go away. So basically, I disagree.

And in incest news - hubby and I recently watched The Other Boleyn Girl. Which I loved, more for the costumes and scenery then the plot - but that is beside the point. As the movie comes to a close, Anne, who has recently miscarried the King's baby, begs her brother to sleep with and hopefully impregnate her (which could ultimately save her life). As the scene played out, there were audible gasps of disgust from the audience. I didn't think much about it - other then the obligatory yuk of course - until this weekend when we watched an episode of Picket Fences. As the episode drew to a close, we discovered a prominent business man in bed with two hookers - who just happen to be sisters. While the townspeople are disgusted that the women are prostitutes, no one mentions incest. This leads me to the question of the day:

Why is some dude paying to diddle two sisters less offensive and disgusting then a brother sleeping with/and or impregnating his sister to save her life?



And because it's hot is not a valid answer. They're hot is also unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment